Friday, October 5, 2012

Basic Chili

This is a recipe that I copied out of my mom's personal recipes. I can't remember where she got it from (since I just marked that it was my mom's recipe), but I do remember that it was on a recipe card taped in her cookbook and that she had had the recipe forever (or close to it). It's a very basic recipe that can be tweaked in so many different ways. I pretty much make it as-is but I do add more chili powder to it normally. I also let mine simmer in the crock pot instead of on the stove top as the recipe originally called for. I think it turns out great either way as long as you let it simmer long enough. I just prefer the hands off (no stirring) crock pot method instead. Oh, and I don't wait to add in the kidney beans, I always add them in with everything else, and I haven't had them turn to mush on me yet.


Chili

2 lbs. ground beef
2 cups diced onion (or two onions, diced)
2 cups diced green pepper (or two green peppers, diced)
2 cans (28 oz. each) tomatoes
2 cans (8 oz. each) tomato sauce
4 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne red pepper
1/4 tsp. paprika
2 cans (15-1/2 oz. each) kidney beans, drained

1. In large skillet, cook and stir meat, onion and green pepper until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat. Stir in tomatoes (with liquid) and remaining ingredients except kidney beans.
2. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in kidney beans; heat through.

Makes 8 or 10 servings.


Smaller version (less meaty):

1 lb. ground beef
1 cup onion, diced (or one onion, diced)
1 cup green pepper, diced (or one green pepper, diced)
2 cans (28 oz. each) tomatoes, petite diced
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne red pepper
1/8 tsp. paprika
2 cans (15-1/2 oz each) kidney beans, drained and rinsed

No comments:

Post a Comment