Monday, March 11, 2013

Freezer Biscuits



Freezer Biscuits
Source: Money Saving Mom

4 cups flour (I used all purpose)
2 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup shortening, butter, coconut oil, or FF plain yogurt (I used butter)
1 to 1-3/4 cup milk (I used 1 cup)

Mix dry ingredients together. Add in the shortening or butter and mix until crumbly. (You can use a KitchenAid or food processor to save time and effort). Add in the milk and mix until a ball forms. (Not a wet sticky dough.)

Roll out onto a floured surface and cut into biscuits. (I rolled mine out and cut it with a pizza slicer. You can also roll the dough out and cut into biscuit shapes. Reroll the dough and cut again.)

To Freeze: Freeze on a cookie sheet for 1-2 hours. Then remove and place in a airtight freezer bag.

To Bake: Pull the desired number of biscuits out and let thaw for 30 minutes to an hour. Bake at 450 degrees for 8-12 minutes. You can bake them straight from the freezer but they won’t rise much. (Bake right away at 450 degrees for 8-12 minutes if baking from fresh.)

Makes 24 biscuits.

*****

Okay, I actually made these biscuits twice. The first batch I messed up somehow, but my husband and son stilled loved them and gobbled up the half batch that I baked.

The second batch I made with room temperature butter, and 1 cup of milk that was treated with vinegar to be used as a buttermilk substitute. The second batch turned out to be exactly what I was looking for.

I might try using shortening the next time I make them to see how they turn out. That's if I can convince myself to buy some shortening since it's soy based and I avoid soy products as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment