Monday, February 18, 2013

"Perfect" Brown Rice - Stovetop Method

Perfect Brown Rice Every Time
Source: Skinny Taste

1 cup natural brown rice
8 cups cold water
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt

Rinse the rice with cold water for 30 seconds. Bring the water and salt to a boil over high heat in a large heavy pot with a tight fitting lid.

When the water is boiling add the rice, stir and partially cover (don't cover completely or it will spill over) and cook on medium-high heat for 30 minutes.

Drain the rice in strainer, then quickly return to the pot and cover tightly for 20 minutes so the steam finishes cooking the rice. Uncover the rice and fluff with a fork.

Makes about 3 1/2 cups. Different rice varieties may yield different amounts.

Servings: 5 • Serving Size: 3/4 cup • Old Points: 3 pt • Points+: 4 pt
Calories: 150 • Fat: 0 g • Protein: 3 g • Carb: 32 g • Fiber: 1 g • Sugar: 0 g

***

I tried this method because I needed to make a small batch of brown rice and I didn't want to pull out my rice cooker just for a little bit. Plus, with my rice cooker, I swear I never know how long it's going to take for the rice to cook and I can never seem to get the water to rice ratio perfect (even with advice some "professional" rice cooker friends, lol).

This was perfect. I cooked the rice exactly as described above and I was very pleased with the outcome. I'm using this rice for my lunches this week in a chicken, bean and rice bowl. Recipe to follow soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment