Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Chocolate Popcorn

This probably sounds a bit weird, but it's yummy. Or at least I think it's yummy. I've been craving chocolate like crazy lately. Popcorn is a filling snack, and low calorie depending on how you cook/top it. Chocolate popcorn was the answer to my cravings. It satisfies that chocolate craving without me gobbling down several candy bars. Lol.

Chocolate popcorn

6 tablespoons popping corn (found near the microwaveable calorie dense popcorn in plastic bags or jugs)
1 paper bag, lunch sack size (found in the grocery store on the isle with trash bags/zip lock bags, etc)
1 square of chocolate almond bark (just one square, not the whole bar)

Put the 6 tablespoons of popcorn into the paper bag. Close the bag by folding the top over tightly, twice. Lay the bag on it's side in the microwave (or instead you could use a hot air popcorn maker instead of this method) and cook on high. With my microwave I normally set it for 3 minutes and when I stop it (when you have pauses between the popcorn popping you want to stop it so that it won't burn), I have about 15-45 seconds left. Pour out the popcorn and remove the unpopped kernels.

Now heat up your almond bark in the microwave for 10-15 seconds in a glass or ceramic bowl/cup. Stir and if still lumpy, heat for another 10-15 seconds. Put melted chocolate in a piping bag, or a sandwich bag with a very tiny (important!) hole cut in the corner.

Now what I do next is to start layering my popcorn in the bowl that I store it in. It's about a gallon size bowl. I pour a layer of popcorn to cover the bottom of the bowl. I then drizzle chocolate all over that layer. I then layer more popcorn and repeat with chocolate a second time. And I find that I'm done with this with three layers of popcorn/chocolate. Now all you have to do is put the lid on (so your popcorn doesn't go stale) and set it aside and wait for the chocolate to cool and solidify again.

So yummy! I find that I can make a bowl of this and just grab a handful here and there to satisfy my chocolate cravings and it'll last me about a week or so before it either starts to go stale or I have eaten it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment