Friday, March 16, 2012

Chicken Enchiladas


Chicken Enchiladas
Source: I was given this recipe by my sister a few years ago after having this for dinner at her house once. I have no idea where she got the recipe from, but I assume it was a friend. This is how I now make this recipe.

Flour tortillas (Fajita size)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
2-3 tsp. ground cumin
2 pkgs. (8 oz. each) cream cheese
6 cups cooked and shredded chicken
1-1/2 to 2 cups salsa
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped black olives (I use 1/2 of a small can of diced olives)
2 large cans enchilada sauce (Use your favorite, red or green. I don't like the taste of red, so we always use green. I also use a smaller amount of sauce)

1. If your flour tortillas are not already cooked (not the most common type), heat oven to 350ºF. Wrap the tortillas into a foil packet and heat in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Turn the oven off and kept the tortillas in the oven until ready to use. (I don't ever do this step, because I buy the normal flour tortillas found with the bread.)
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in the chili powder, garlic powder and cumin. Add the cream cheese and cook over low heat, breaking up the cheese with a wooden spoon until melted. Add the chicken and salsa. Cook over medium heat, stirring often for 2-3 minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat. Stir in 2 cups of the cheddar cheese and olives.
4. Remove the flour tortillas from the oven. Spread about 1/4 cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of two 9x13-inch baking dishes (or four 8x8 pans).
5. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture slightly below the center of each tortilla. Roll up from the bottom and arrange seam side down in the baking dish. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350ºF or until hot and bubbly. Serve right away.

I make my recipe into four 8x8 pans since we aren't big on eating enchilada leftovers for days. I can fit six in each pan (five side by side, and one at the top of the pan). I bake one pan and freeze the other three. For a serving, two enchiladas per adult is plenty and one for a child. I eat mine with sour cream. Yum, yum, yum!

To freeze: Prepare as directed, but do not bake. Cover with a double foil layer and freeze. To bake from frozen, heat oven to 350 degrees and bake covered for about 60 to 90 minutes. Checking after 60 minutes to see if warmed throughout. Can be thawed in the refrigerator overnight and then baked for about 30 minutes (covered).

No comments:

Post a Comment